Products & Services
One of the key factors behind our success is our ability to customise and develop innovative products to meet specific customer requirements.
Manual Double Drum Winch
HyQuest Solutions’ Barossa winch is a hand-operated double drum winch capable of handling gauging weights up to 70 kg (154 lb). The design shows two main advantages: Firstly, it enables the operator to change from sounding mode to traversing mode very quickly by engaging the drive gears on each drum. Secondly, the double drum concept eases traversing, as the forces exerted by the gauging weight are largely cancelled out. The winch can be used on small travellerways up to 60 m (200 ft) span.
The winch is designed for ease of operation and serviceability in the ﬁeld: robust, compact, portable, and operated easily and safely by one person.
Special attention is paid to safety: An automatic Weston Brake locks the drum if the handle is released. This holds the load in any position - for safe and smooth sounding operation.
HyQuest Solutions’ winches are equipped with Amergraph cables. The special construction combines two purposes: They permit the suspension in the stream of the current meter and heavy Columbus weights and at the same time they are the medium for carrying the meter signals to a counting device. The winches’ counters are protected within the frame and can be ordered to display either metric or imperial counts.
Use with current meter
Some elaborate features support current metering: A silver-plated slip ring conducts the signal from the sounding drum to the current meter counter. The counter can be installed at the winch itself, i.e. close to the winch operator instead of deep in the water at the current meter. The single layer of the signal cable on the drum prevents damage of the internal conductor and premature replacement.
The Barossa winch enables current meter observations and sediment samples in streams of moderate widths. It is used for the vertical positioning of suitable hydrometric equipment, amongst others in the areas of hydrometry, hydrology, water quality analysis, sediment sampling, and discharge measurement.
- Type: double drum winch (single drum version available on request)
- Safety: Weston Brake
- Adjustable manual drum handle
- Portable (allows for use on multiple sites with the reduced risk of vandalism)
- Counters housed within the frames, protected from external damage
- Designed for weights up to 70 kg (154 lb)
- Cast aluminium, 600 mm circumference
- Silver plated slipring
- Sounding counter: six digit resettable, registering in centimetres (metric) or optional 1/10 of a foot (imperial)
- Cast aluminium, 600 mm circumference
- Traverse counter: six digit resettable, registering in decimeters (metric) or optional 1 foot (imperial), detachable
- 57 m of 3.2 mm (1/8”)
- 70 m of 2.5 mm (1/10”)
- Robust aluminium, powder coated, stainless steel shaft components, corrosion resistant fasteners
Scope of Delivery
- Barossa winch with
- Traveller block to suit up 1 1/4” main cable
- Banana style connections to suit most current meter counters
- Winch to counter connecting lead
- 4 x 10 mm mounting bolts
- Not included (optionally available): Operating side post head sheave asssembly, far side post head sheave asssembly
Dimensions and Mass
- L x W x H: 600 mm (24”) x 560 mm (22”) x 470 mm (18.5”); weight: 36 kg (79.4 lb)
- Packed: 0.3 m3, 64 kg (141 lb)
Current Meter Counters (various models):
Features: waterproof enclosures, simple button controlled menus, embedded LCDs and beepers to make counts audible. Pre-set or manually stopped sampling period. Improved accuracy due to signal conditioning. Bluetooth interfaces for use with HydroTab Stream Gauging Computer available.
HyQuest Solutions offers various models, e.g. OSSB1 (universal device for open and closed channels), and Red Back (cup-type device with advanced contact switching system that allows the measurement of water ﬂow in streams, open canals, pressure pipes, lakes and seas to a ﬁne degree of accuracy and repeatability.)
Columbus weights with hanger bar and nose mounted ground feeler weights with optional carrying case available. The weight positions the current meter correctly in fast ﬂowing water, protects it against heavy debris damage, streamlined shape reduces resistance to ﬂowing water.
HyQuest Solutions offers modular equipment (choice of samplers and accessories) for sediment sampling.
Please ask for details.